Tuesday, July 6, 2010

What is the Disney College Program?

I’m sitting in my US History summer class right now…..after the midterm I decided the notes I was taking during class were useless so I don’t take notes anymore :p At this point, going into my senior year of college, I’ve mastered the art of bsing haha.
Anyways, I’ve decided to make a post for people who might be reading my blog but don’t know what the Disney College Program is *gasp* I know, shocking.
The Disney College Program is a paid internship for students to work (and play) in Disney for a semester or more, making connections for future work opportunities. There are special classes (they’re optional) you can take at Disney University which teach you about different aspects of the company. I’ve always wanted to do the program but never had the opportunity because I needed to take classes for my major each semester (which aren’t offered over the summer) and couldn’t lose a semester or it would delay my graduation. However, if you apply the semester before you graduation, they allow you to participate in the program, you just have to be a student when you apply. So this is what I’m going to be doing and hopefully I’ll be in Florida for Fall 2011 after I graduate from Uconn! :)
This is how the process works, to the best of my knowledge, since I haven’t actually applied yet. Basically you fill out an online application where you choose your top job choices. My top choices so far are Full Service Food&Beverage (basically being a hostess/seater), Character Attendant (walking around w the characters, controling lines, taking pics for guests, ect), and Attractions (working at one of the rides). I also might check off PhotoPass Photographer. I know I won’t be checking off Housekeeping,Custodial, or Quick Service Food&Beverage because I’ve heard that if you check them off they WILL give you one of them since they’re jobs that nobody really wants lol. I’ve decided I’d rather be down there and have a job I enjoy than be there and be miserable. Anyways, after that they call and you do a phone interview, they ask you pretty easy questions about yourself and how you would handle different situations while working (such as what you would tell a child if they were too short to ride a ride). Then the waiting begins. It takes a few weeks to hear from them about if you’re accepted or not, but hopefully when the times comes and you check your mailbox you’ll find a purple folder and probably an email telling you you’re accepted and your role!
The best part of the College Program is that on your days off you get to play in the parks for free and get 3 free tickets for family/friends! You also get discounts on food, souveniers, and hotel reservations for family (I heard up to 50% off! Polynesian here I come! lol)
Oh and if you’re wondering where you live while in the program, Disney provides apartments. There are 3 different apartment complexes and your rent is taken out of your paycheck each week so you don’t need to worry about it. The apartments are Vista Way, Patterson Court, and Chatham Square. Patterson is supposed to be the nicest because it’s newly renovated. Vista is supposed to be old and where the partiers live. I guess Chatham is kind of the in between, it’s newer than Vista but not as new as Patterson. So I’m hoping to get Patterson or Chatham but I won’t know where I’ll be living until I get there :)
Yeah so that’s basically it, wish me luck! ;) I hope I get in! lol

5 comments:

  1. Yep, you're definitely right. When I applied, I checked off my top 3 (merchandise, concierge, and attractions) and tons of backups (custodial, QSFB, FSFB, main entrance operations, photopass photographer, vacation planner, costuming, etc.) I was offered a role in custodial. I have to admit that I was bummed when Disney offered me that role, but I was really happy that I got into the DCP. Turns out that a lot of people who had a custodial role ended up loving what they were doing because of guest interaction and independence. That made me feel a lot better about my role. So what I'm saying is that a job may not be what you think it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so u know u have Patteson and Chatham mixed up. Patterson is the newest

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha you're right, I'll fix it, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quick Service isn't so bad! :) But it depends on your location, from where I've been reading. I lucked out and really love who I work with and actually don't mind my job, but I have heard stories (from my sister, for example) that the job can be rough. I guess it's a luck of the draw sort-of-thing. :)

    And OUR classes are offered at the different complexes. So there's a chance I'll actually be taking a class at Vista (they have classrooms). But there are also classes we can take at Disney University. :) I thought the same thing before I started, so it's okay. =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh! haha that's good to know! :) It's good to hear about things from someone who's actually there and not the Disney websites haha

    ReplyDelete